Monday, October 14, 2013

Are you Left Brain or Right Brain?

I was a Bio Sci major in college. One of my favorite subjects was Neurobiology next to Molecular Biology. I was very fascinated about how the brain worked and looked forward to lab and doing some dissecting.  I still remember freaking out my roommates because I took home (and refrigerated) a partial brain of a lab rat.  I don't really recall now why I could take the brain home or maybe I was just a klepto.  Well, while the formaldehyde soaked lab organ was preserved in the fridge next to leftover Chinese food and pizza, I was just as favorably eager to pull out my canvas and oil paints, or my sketch pad for some R&R to escape and take a reprieve from my analytical and scientific brain activity that consumed most of my day.  I often forgot where the time went for every time I immersed myself in my creative world.

Don't get me wrong.  I love science.  I also love world history.  And business.  And reading the Wall Street Journal.  And, intellectual conversations.  And sitting around doing nothing...just to regroup and recharge. But, my love of all loves is A.R.T.  I actually FEEL a super charge of neurons firing and electrifying in my entire being when I talk about and DO art, photography, writing, and design.  It's like experiencing an endorphin rush but double or triple the dosage. My spirit shoots up into the Universe and back in the speed of light accompanied by the beauty and spark of fireworks that makes the experience so metaphysically indescribable.  "Your eyes light up," is often what people will say who are closest to and know me well. "I hear it in your voice," is another common comment.  I am naturally high from the vision of colors that expands my imagination.  I become very excited to create.  The  neurotransmitters are on overdrive.  I re-experience in my mind the delight of childhood when I had felt freest and happiest because I was doing what I loved, and my spirit was carefree and fearless.  I felt like I could do anything and I CAN  do anything.  I am evolving and realigning myself into the person that I have always been meant to be.  It has taken me some time to finally get it but I realize that my gift for "interior design" is both about breathing life into a home and a fashion line, and also about breathing life into a lost and dimmed spirit.  The journey is both yours and mine. In creativity, I am most joyous, spontaneous, content and at peace.  I thank my left brain for its contribution to my take charge and practical approach life skills.  If it weren't for its existence, it could not have logically reminded me that its right brain counterpart is truly my real boss at the end of the day.  

Which side of your brain drives your passion and dreams the most?  Is your passion about the study of the Universe or following the calling of the Universe? 

This Mercedes Benz ad brilliantly and creatively illustrates the strengths of the left and right brain. I of course prefer life in LIVING COLOR. 



Sometimes, we cross the bridge back and forth:


But one thing is for sure:   DO WHAT YOU LOVE and LOVE WHAT YOU DO.

And hey, visit other like-minded souls who are doing what they love and see how they are living life: 


Take the time each day, in a minute, to .......

Be grateful.  .

Relax.  

Connect.

Gain Perspective.

Think about YOU and DO WHAT YOU LOVE.


"Whatever the mind of man [and woman] can conceive, and believe, it can achieve."  Napoleon Hill.



1 comment: