Sunday, October 6, 2013

THIS IS YOUR LIFE.

"This is your LIFE."  The Holstee Manifesto starts off with these profound words.  This powerful introduction is then followed with, "Do what you love, and do it often." Before I know it, I am having an uncontrollable ugly cry and saying, "Yes. Yes. Yes.," in my heartfelt efforts to agree.  At that instant, it is the only thing that makes the most sense in my heart that can fix my suffering.  This heartache that I call suffering of course is humbly revealed in the next two lines that say, "If you don't like something, change it.  If you don't like your job, QUIT." More tears.  I look up to God and pray.  My tearful eyes also glance at the images of photographs that I recently took that I have framed but are now collecting dust in front of the fireplace. They are one of my fabulous business projects that I am trying to launch but have lost some momentum with.  Meanwhile, the landscape of my troubled mind flashes back into my childhood tapping into a time when I felt freest and happiest while growing up on a tropical island, loving every moment of my daily swim and frolic at the beach, climbing fruit trees, creating stuff--drawing, making necklaces from special seeds and beads, collecting shells, making handbags, observing and helping my grandmother decorate her home,  learning how to keep the orchids and roses blooming and well watered, sewing my first handkerchief around age six, etcetera. In warp speed, everything that I loved and still love came flooding back into my consciousness.  I continue to stare at the Manifesto which loudly shouts a concluded message that,  "LIFE IS SHORT. Live your dream and share your passion."

Sometime between childhood and now, we had to grow up and become responsible adults. This responsibility for some of us didn't necessarily include doing what we loved but doing what someone else wanted us to do.  If this resonates with you, then you're not alone! Likewise, I'm not alone! In my household, that idea was defined as doing something considered a respectable profession which provided prestige and financial security.  The life goal had to be practical, whatever practical meant.  For me, it was my family's dream that I became a medical doctor.  But, my dream was to be an artist, an editor, an interior or fashion designer...even a singer because I wanted to be Marie Osmond back in the day. Instead, I heard, "Well, you can't make money being an artist."  The knife pierced through my heart and the light in me dimmed quickly. There's nothing like killing one's passion and dream with words that can suddenly make you feel so cut off from your true essence and uncertain of your true existence. When you believe it enough, you abandon the dream and reluctantly but obediently choose a different path.  You grow over time in doubt and fear about certain fundamental life decisions, questioning if they will be good enough for everyone else. However, in the core of your being, you have a burning secret, a burning desire that has been buried alive. Over your lifetime, its heartbeat gains more pulse, calling out for freedom and abundantly pouring out its love.  You recognize it right away and it cannot be contained.  It chases after you because it is your divine destiny to be "IT."  

What is the "it" for you?  What burning desire calls to you?  What did you stumble into between childhood and now that brought life into your imagination and passion into your dreams?  What have you discovered and enjoyed that has been effortless, soul-rejuvenating and made you lose track of time? 


 As the saying goes, this life is no dress rehearsal.  We have one shot.  This is your life.  What do you love to do?

WORDS OF THE WISE:

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love.  Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things that you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you."  --Maya Angelou, poet, writer, speaker

IN A MINUTE, You Could.....

Be Grateful.  Write a thank you card.

Relax.  Close your eyes, breathe deeply and slowly three times.

Connect.  Pick up the phone to call someone you haven't seen in a while.

Gain Perspective.  Look out the window toward the horizon.

Think about YOU.  List three things you love.  




1 comment: